11 April, 2008

I got an owl from my HSKS4 partner Olive Bladvak yesterday. Marty the owl arrived during like a rather large spring snow storm, he was tired tired after his flight from Okinawa, Japan! I let him rest and gave him some owl treats before he insisted on taking flight to return to Olive. I am so spoiled! The box was a little wet from the snow, but nothing inside was harmed. The box was packed with so many knitters wizarding treats I didn't know what to look at first! A good bit of the treats are from Japan, so there was a lot of stuff that I have never seen and never would have seen if she hadn't sent them to me. Everything was all done up in Gryffindor colors with ribbons and labels- so creative and fun! Check out all of my Gryffindor goodies:

There's the whole lot of it together. Look at all the time she took wrapping everything up and making it all look wonderful.
Another shot at all the wrapped up goodness.
She sent me two sock spells, a pair of bamboo needles from Japan, Knit Picks Harmony dpns in the 2.5mm size, and some really great yarn. The yarn is hand painted 100% Merino by All the Pretty Fibers in the Indian Summer colorway. Perfect Gryffindor yarn, and it is also the perfect yarn for the Firestarter sock spell- fitting for a Gryffindor. I didn't have any 2.5mm dpns, so they are just the needles I needed!
Here are some non-knitting goodies. Look at all those sweet little tea cups and mugs from Japan- how cool are they? Each one was wrapped in gold tissue paper and tied with a scarlet and gold ribbon with a label telling me where it was from or what it was for. The mug in the middle was filled with tea for Potions. The red cup is filled with assorted candies from Honeydukes International. The flowered cup has lemon (gold) and cola (red) Gryffindor Goodies. I can't believe that nothing was broken on the long trip, Marty really is a talented owl!
These were tied up with a ribbon that said "Imports from a wizarding village in Asia" Three sets of fancy chopsticks- all very pretty. Two skeins of Gryffindor colored yarn form Japan. I have no idea what fiber it is for sure or anything, the only thing on the labels that's in English is "Space Dyde Knitting Yarn" yes, spelled just like that. I need a spell or charm that will let me read in Japanese for a little while! The chopsticks are great and I love the yarn.
Some treats from a Japanese wizarding village I imagine. Broomstick Snacks, Chocolate Wands, and some really cute little suckers in the shape of cows. I have shared all of my treats and candies with the underage wizards in the house, but not all of them. I'm keeping some for myself! Maybe if I magically lock my trunk they won't find them...
Remember that cute yellow box with the fabric to hold it closed? It's really cool. There are three different sections to put things in. I opened the top and found some darning needles (how did she know I misplace mine a lot?) under that I found a compartment with a box of Gryffindor colored paper clips, and under there I found some beautiful beaded stitch markers in a little pouch.
These four cards came in a package marked "Owl Post" I suspect Olive made them herself- the owl on one of the cards matches the owls that were stamped onto the box all of this came in. Each card is different and they are really well done. Love them!
Last but not least the bag Olive made me. It's big enough that everything in the package was in the bag when I pulled it out of the box, so it's going to be great for keeping knitting in. The fabrics are really great. Not only are they perfect Gryffindor colors, but check out the print on that red- it's fireworks. They remind me of sparks shooting from wands! I love this bag.
Here's the inside. More cool fabric and a great little pocket.
Thank you so much Olive! I couldn't have possibly asked for a better or more fun swap package. Everything is just wonderful. You did a brilliant job on your first swap! I feel so spoiled, it was like Christmas for this knitting Harry Potter geek!
Thank you!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bag is beautiful! What a spectacular kit this was! You're soooo lucky! And Olive, you've outdone yourself!

Jade Bladvak said...

Again, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I had fun reading your re-cap and I'm glad you found the goodies in the bento box!

Emma Wigworthy said...

Incredible. I adore the china! And the bag is beautiful - very clever fabric choice. Well done Olive!

Unknown said...

That's a really lovely kit! Congratulations, Olive!